Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Baby food

Do you ever read the ingredients label on foods you eat? How about foods you give your kids? How about your baby's food? Or formula? I have to be honest, the first time around(when I had Grant) I didnt pay much attention. Let's just say I was young and uneducated. Nice excuse right? I dont think so. Anyway I thought it was interesting the other day when I was comparing formulas at the store and one of them listed it's very first ingredient as high fructose corn syrup. When Grant was a baby we always fed him the gerber baby foods, which are fine. But this time I decided I wanted to make all of Grayson's food and I am really loving doing it. It is really satisfying in a way. First off I know everything that is going in to my little guy is fresh and healthy. And I am doing everything in my power to keep him as healthy as possible! When I first started making my own baby food I was really surprised at how potent the flavors are. I dont know why that surprised me, but it did. I guess I just expected it to turn out bland like the gerber stuff, but it is anything but bland. Have you ever noticed that the gerber foods are all very similar in color and texture? Like this---
Not the stuff I make from fresh fruits and veggies! It is so diversified and vibrant. More like this---
Because that is exactly what I am using. Manufacturers put a lot of water in their foods to get them to be that color and texture. I am feeding Grayson things that they dont sell in those little jars. Sure he loves carrotts and peas, bananas and applesauce, but I am feeding him avacado, blueberries, corn, broccoli and cauliflower and he is loving them too! I cant wait til he is a little older and I can introduce him to so many more things, like strawberries and raspberries, tomatoes and fish! Yep fish next month! My hope is the more he is introduced to, the more he will love as he grows up! Who doesnt want a kid who loves all fruits and veggies?

No comments:

Post a Comment